A meeting place for artists, photographers and writers

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Teaching Memoir

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bblake4192

PostSubject: Teaching Memoir   Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:15 pm

I switched careers in my forties and began teaching high school science to at-risk students in an inner-city school.
I loved it. I loved the job and my students. But there were many things I had to deal with that were stressful: gangs, drugs, shootings, murdered students, abusive principals, a riot, being transferred away.
I wrote a memoir about the joys and hardships of this experience.
You don't have to be a teacher to enjoy reading this dramatic, inspirational true story.
"No Child Left Behind? The true story of a teacher's quest" by Elizabeth Blake
You can read the first page on my website.
http://elizabethblakeonline.com on the right hand column.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elizabethblakeonline.com
Littluns

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Memoir   Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I loved your post.

Seeing that you are a teacher and the experiences you had, I thought you might appreciate this. When I see anyone in need I ask them to do the following:

1. Extend your arms forward.

2. Make a fist with both thumbs up.

3. Extend arms left and right leaving at least a foot space between both hands, thumbs and fists.

4. I then say the following:
"The left thumb represents birth, a gift making you one of a kind, unique in the universe. The right thumb represents death, a crossing over. The space in-between the two thumbs is our chance to make a difference. It’s our own special adventure that only this life can provide. Make every moment count because life is a gift to be cherished and not wasted.

Follow your bliss, keep your standards high, and reach for the stars. This life only comes around once – make it all that it can be, and never ever give up”
Back to top Go down

Teaching Memoir
Page 1 of 1